A special gift tutorial: embroider your honeymoon route, or a big family trip onto a vintage map.
Perfect DIY Valentine or birthday gift for a husband or daddy!
I made this DIY big trip map gift for MisterPodge for Valentine’s this year. After we got married (almost 5 years ago now) we took an 8 month honeymoon and travelled around the world before starting our family. It was a fantastic trip and I wanted to record the route to show Pickle and Chops and also remind my husband and I of the adventure we shared!
To make a personalised big trip map DIY gift, you will need:
– an A3 map to mark your route (I used a free printable vintage world map from Knick of Time)
– a pencil
– a needle
– some playdoh or blutac
– embroidery thread
– a frame for your finished map
AGE: older kids/adults
TIME: over an hour
How-to make a personalised big trip map DIY gift:
- Choose and print your map
- Mark your big trip route on the map in pencil
- Use a needle to perforate your route, leaving approx 5mm between each hole (place some playdoh or blutac beneath your map, so as not to pierce your work surface (or leg!)
- Sew your route, using embroidery thread and the holes that you’ve just made. I used running stitch for our overland travel (trains/coaches/cars) and back stitch for our flights. I also added a heart shape for home (where we began and ended our trip).
- Erase any visible pencil marks, frame your personalised big trip map and present your DIY gift to your loved one(s)!
Have you been anywhere exciting? Are you planning a big trip this year..?
I’d love to see India, Madagascar and Egypt…